Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Waste Not

I have been meaning to clean out my refrigerator for several days now and finally had the chance to do it this morning. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I haven't done it in months or anything (I try to do it once a month if possible) but I did happen to notice an overwhelming amount of Tupperware containers building up. I knew it was bad a few days ago when I couldn't even remember what was in them!

When I finally finished the job, I was appalled at the amount of food that I had let waste away over the last few weeks. Since Pete has been gone, I've gone through these phases where I buy all kinds of great veggies and healthy meal ingredients reminding myself that I still need to eat well even when cooking for one (my kids are on their own meal plan). But more realistically, I've also been buying frozen spring rolls and eating popcorn and brownies for dinner....that's another post.

So, I was stunned at the amount of food that I had allowed to disintegrate and spoil in my very presence. Thankfully, I have a compost that will benefit greatly from my waste, but I sure can't say that for our checking account or my under-nutritioned belly.

So, to make a long story short, I realized that I need to straighten up and fly right. When Pete is home, I meal plan and (most always) use every ingredient I buy before it has a chance to spoil on me. I've slipped a bit in that category and have allowed myself to splurge on whatever fancies my roaming eyes at the supermarket. Oh- hummus is on sale! I'll get two and have it for lunch this week...sure, Kate. I decided to try The Pioneer Woman's Asian Noodle Salad and although it was incredible- you really do have to try it...I made enough for a family of five, so the remainder just wasted away. Even while Pete is gone I need to meal plan, and therefore not waste. Simple as that. And just as a recommendation, if you're not already doing it, you may want to consider doing the same so as not to waste money or food.

The end.

2 comments:

Lizzie said...

for some reason I always buy more cucumbers then i need. every time i clean out the kitchen i find a scary cucumber at the bottom of the veggie crisper.

good luck eating well for one, it is quite challenging here as well. i too have fallen prey to the "popcorn dinner diet." :)

Lizzie said...

hi kate, i found a website that you might find interesting, i go to there other site "5 minutes for mom" all the time and just noticed they added "5 minutes for going green"

http://www.5minutesforgoinggreen.com/

talk to you soon :)