Friday, September 12, 2008

My Story

Here I go! I am excited to be able to share my journey toward a "greener" way of life with you. As a 30 something mom, I can look back at least a decade if not more, and recall efforts being made in the communities in which I lived to help better the environment. About five years ago I moved to a small community in the south where very little was being done in terms recycling- or even just plain education or acknowledgement of a need to reduce waste or gear thinking toward a more environmentally friendly way of living. And when I had my children, I knew that at least for me and for my family, things had to change. I began saving my recycling and bringing it with me when I visited my sister two hours away. I started composting on a regular basis, using cloth bags at the grocery store and buying in bulk whenever possible.

Then about a year ago, I just seemed to realize that as a parent, as a mother, I needed to do more. It seems that a mother's role and responsibility has to be even greater, because she needs to lead by example. In teaching my own children about green living, I realized that most importantly, they need to understand that in today's day and age this way of living is no longer a choice, but a necessity. Simple as that...at least for me!

So, follow along with us, as I discuss the changes we've already made, and implement the ones we haven't. I encourage and appreciate your feedback!

Best, Kate

ALSO- I'll be working on the decor of the site! Thanks Liz!

1 comment:

Lizzie said...

I'm the first to comment! Na na na na na na! I feel so special! :P ha ha. Can you tell my night of no sleep is starting to sink in?

I am excited to learn more about helping to create a better future for our munchkins. Good luck!