Monday, March 2, 2009

No Dumping, Drains to Streams


My family and I are visiting Columbia Missouri, and I while walking down the city's sidewalk yesterday I couldn't help but see these logos imprinted into the cement where ever there was a water drain in the street.
A few years ago the City of Columbia (MO, that is) Public Water Works and the Missouri River Communities Network decided that it needed to do more to help educate the public about where their waste actually goes. It turns out that a lot of people didn't know that storm water drains near their homes and all around town actually led right into local streams! Now, however, after several educational forums and events and the application of these decals, Columbia residents are taking great care to keep their steams free of waste and other debris.
How does your community stack up? I'd love to hear!

1 comment:

Lizzie said...

what cute little stamps near the drains! what does phoenix, az do? I don't know??? i'll get back to you :)