Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Creating a Green Hour for the Kids (and you too!)


It seems like since Winter arrived the allocated TV time around here has almost doubled, and every night I feel an immeasurable amount of guilt because of it. Sure I try to have them watch PBS and other educational shows, but there are times when I look over at them while they watch their show, their sweet little faces are just clouded over. I could yell that brownies were coming out of the oven and that they could each have ten and I would hear in response, "just a minute..."


The National Wildlife Federation has created a great and incredibly educational program called Green Hour. Each week their site provides different ideas for a Green Hour involving activities spent outdoors and away from the lure of the TV and boredom. Who can find the largest acorn? What animal does that rock look like? What does the cold weather feel like? Let's talk about it and how and why the seasons change...these are a few of the activities they provide (with much more elaboration of course). The idea is not only to get up and out of the living room, but to encourage curiosity and spend time together doing something different...


Check out their site and I hope you find it to be as motivating and inspiring as I have!
Kate

1 comment:

Sierra Black said...

thanks for posting this - I can wait to try it with my kids. Do you know about the Outdoor Hour Challenge? It's a similar project based on The Handbook Of Nature Study